A Roundtable on the Outcome of the G-8 Summit in Japan
Event Name : Recent Events
Date : 28 July, 2008- ,
Bangladesh Enterprise Institute (BEI) is organizing a roundtable on the Outcome of the G-8 Summit in Japan to be held at 3:30 pm on Monday, 28 July 2008 at the BEI Conference Room (House 20, Road 5, Gulshan-1, Dhaka).
H.E. Mr. Masayuki Inoue, Ambassador, Embassy of Japan will be the Keynote Speaker.
Mr. Farooq Sobhan, President, BEI will chair the roundtable.
The Group of Eight (G8) Summit is an annual meeting attended by the leaders of the eight countries, namely, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the President of the European Commission (but the EU does not have the right to host or chair a meeting). With no headquarters, budget or permanent staff, the G-8 is an informal but exclusive body whose members set out to tackle global challenges through discussion and action. Leaders of G8 countries aim to: Boost cooperation over trade and finance, Strengthen the global economy, Promote peace and democracy, and Prevent and resolve conflicts.
At G-8 Hokkaido Toyako Summit on 7-9 July, world leaders discussed the world economy, environmental concerns, African development and other pressing issues including soaring oil and food prices. Discussions on Zimbabwe, North Korea and Iran also took place.
The main themes of the Summit were:
- Issues of concern for the world economy such as rising oil prices and stabilization of the financial market
- Initiatives in addressing global environmental issues, in particular, discussions at the UN process to create an effective framework beyond 2012
- Achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015
- Building on the outcome of the Fourth Tokyo International Conference on African Development
- Issue of global food security
- Strengthening the non-proliferation regime
- Discussion of peace-building, and strengthen the G8 efforts
For further information, please contact Ambassador Shafiullah, Senior Research Fellow at BEI.
Posted Date : 3 March, 2012